About us

Friday, March 12, 2010

korean fried chicken potluck

Last summer we ate at a Korean restaurant called Unidentified Flying Chicken in Queens (I kid you not). In addition to the lady cashier who was described by my Korean friend as being quite "fine", the garlic and soy sauce fried chicken was pretty damn fine too. I tried to recreate this today, of course unfortunately we didn't have the fine cashier with us.

I de-boned some drumsticks, instead of frying them whole, as I wanted to save on oil and to use the bones to make soup. Season chicken with salt and pepper, cover with corn starch and fry till brown. The recipe recommended double frying, so I fried the chicken in batches due to my small pan, took them out in batches and fried them again - the meat was very tender and not at all overcooked. The secret of this recipe is in the sauce, which calls for frying up some diced garlic and onions, pouring in half cup soy sauce, quarter cup mirin, and two tablespoons of sugar, some ginger, allow to simmer. Strain the sauce and mix the fried chicken in it before serving. The chicken turned out a little soggy, losing some of its crispness, certainly not up to par with Unidentified Flying Chicken which was incredibly crispy and tasty at the same time, a party in your mouth. I will reduce the sauce to a thicker consistency in the future and see how it goes, maybe I should try re-frying the chicken after the sauce dip. Recipe found here.

The leftover garlic soy sauce went into the porridge which Thomas brought and the tu dou si which Linnea made, making everything taste quite delicious. I believe I have stumbled across a magic sauce. In addition, Ginger made a Christmas colored omelet which was quite yummy with the divine okonomiyaki-mayo combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment